Subject: Reformatting motion pictures

Reformatting motion pictures

From: Jim Lindner <vidipax>
Date: Wednesday, September 20, 1995
Peter D. Verheyen <pdverhey [at] mailbox__syr__edu> writes.

>The Syracuse University Library is looking for some information on
>the archival/preservation reformatting of 16mm movies from the
>1960's/70's onto high quality video. We would like to copy it onto a
>3/4" video master and then 2, 1/2" service copies.
>If anyone has some experience and information on reputable vendors
>we would appreciate hearing from you.

I have sent a note privately to Peter Verheyan about our services in
this area, but wanted to add that I would try to convince you not to
master onto 3/4" video tape. It has been around for a very long time
and has served us well, but time and technology have provided other
formats that provide far higher quality at an acceptable price
point, and are better from a preservation perspective. Be aware that
there are many different levels of quality in this process and the
prices vary accordingly.

Jim Lindner
VidiPax
The Magnetic Media Restoration Company