Subject: Plastics storage

Plastics storage

From: Gillian Mitchell <u954294>
Date: Friday, September 22, 1995
I am a conservation student in Canberra, Australia.  I am currently
researching the problems associated with and specific to the storage
of plastics in collections. I would like to compile a list of
storage conditions for plastics at specific institutions with an eye
to comparing the most effective ideal conditions with those that are
currently being used on an international scale.

I would  appreciate comments based on the following topics by
anybody based in an institution with plastics in their collections.
I would appreciate input from as many people as are willing,
regardless of the quality of their present storage systems. From
those specifically designed for plastics to those where plastics
were/are not taken into account in the design or the upkeep of the
storage facility.

The topics I am interested in covering include the following:

    1.  RH range achieved and reasons for selection of those levels.

    2.  Illumination levels and steps taken to eliminate UV
        radiation.

    3.  Temperature range and reasons for selection of those
        temperatures.

    4.  Control of atmospheric pollutants including particulate
        matter, ozone, sulphur and nitrogen compounds.  Have any
        steps been taken to create low oxygen storage conditions?

    5.  Steps taken to deal with off gassing from plastics such as
        nitrates, acetates and PVC's and steps taken to minimise
        loss of plasticisers.

    6.  Steps taken to reduce  physical stress and the materials
        used as supports.

    7.  Construction materials of storage facilities.

    8.  Existence of monitoring programs and safety procedures, for
        example when dealing with cellulose nitrates.

Could you please reply to me at u954294 [at] student__canberra__edu__au
Should anyone be interested I will make my results available on
request.  Thanking you in advance,

Gillian Mitchell
Student in Conservation of Cultural Materials
University of Canberra
Australia

                Distributed: Sunday, September 24, 1995