Subject: Whale bone

Whale bone

From: Ron Stark <rstark9955>
Date: Friday, September 15, 1995
Mark Vine <100436.3447 [at] compuserve__com> writes

>My original query centred on whether HMG cellulose nitrate
>might be an acceptable adhesive for whale bone, is it or would an
>Acryloid (Paraloid) based adhesive be better or is neither very
>suitable?

I submit that HMG's "nitrate" adhesive is *not* suitable for use on
animal bone. Acryloid is one of many co-polymers, ter-polymers and
monomers available to us today. Your query is quite absent of what
you want an adhesive to do. Mark, give some detail and we may have a
recommendation for you. It may require several products working in
tandem to achieve the results you seek.

    **** Moderator's comments:   Please note that the original
    message in this thread was Carol Brown's query in Cons DistList
    Instance: 9:20 who asked:

    >Does anyone have experience of conserving whalebone that is
    >displayed outdoors? I have received a query from a conservator
    >in Scotland who has been asked to consolidate a badly
    >deteriorated whale jaw bone, used as an architectural feature in
    >a garden.

Ron Stark, Director
S/R Laboratories Animation Art
Conservation Center