Subject: Condition surveys

Condition surveys

From: Lynn Jones <ljones>
Date: Thursday, September 14, 1995
Judy Panitch wrote:

>In preparation for a large-scale circulation-based condition survey
>of library books, I am wondering if others have undertaken similar
>projects.  The plan is to examine and note the condition of books as
>they are returned to circulation desks at thirteen campus libraries.
>While the literature abounds with articles and advice on conducting
>at-the-shelf condition surveys, I've found little regarding other
>approaches.

The Calipr automated preservation needs assessment instrument would
be a good tool to use for your circulation based survey.  It uses a
very simply survey form, which can easily be used on a laptop
computer so you need not have paper forms to fill out.  Calipr asks
13 questions, which, when compiled by the program, lead to 9
possible preservation actions, such as rebind/repair,
replace/reformat, box, conserve, etc.  The instrument is intended to
give general information about the collection as a whole; in this
case, the preservation needs of books in circulation at your
library.  Four different reports can be printed, to lead the library
to develop a preservation strategy, based on statistically valid
information.

Calipr has been used successfully by at least 42 libraries,
historical societies, and other institutions in California, and was
found to be easy to use by folks with neither preservation nor
computer sophistication.  Calipr is available for $32.50 (including
shipping) from the

    California State Library Foundation
    PO Box 942837
    Sacramento, CA 94237-0001