Subject: Removing permanent marker from acrylic paint

Removing permanent marker from acrylic paint

From: Margaret Holben Ellis <ellism>
Date: Friday, September 15, 1995
Patricia Smithen <patricia_smithen [at] pch__gc__ca> writes

>Does anyone have any suggestions for removing red permanent marker
>from an acrylic painting?

I was involved with a case of vandalism involving black marker ink
on Magna paint.  We actually had the alleged pen and were able to
get dye, resin and ink samples from the year of the pen's
manufacture (each pen is marked with a month and year, usually under
the cap scribed into the barrel) to make mock-ups with.  It would be
helpful if you had this information.  I have the addresses of most
ink manufacturers and might be able to help out in this respect.
The actual testing was done by the conservator affiliated by the
museum which owned the painting.  Sadly, I believe, he had little
success.  I can provide his name if you contact me directly.

Margaret Holben Ellis,
Conservation Center
Institute of Fine Arts
New York University