Subject: Condition surveys

Condition surveys

From: Judy Panitch <jmp54>
Date: Wednesday, September 13, 1995
In preparation for a large-scale circulation-based condition survey
of library books, I am wondering if others have undertaken similar
projects.  The plan is to examine and note the condition of books as
they are returned to circulation desks at thirteen campus libraries.
While the literature abounds with articles and advice on conducting
at-the-shelf condition surveys, I've found little regarding other
approaches.  A few of the questions that come to mind:  What were
the specific goals of your survey, and were they successfully met?
What sort of survey form did you use?  Who actually carried out the
survey, and what training was provided for survey takers?  Did you
encounter significant difficulties in executing the survey or run
across any surprises? Thanks in advance,

Judy Panitch
NY State Preservation Administration Intern
Columbia University

               Distributed: Thursday, September 14, 1995