Subject: Preservation awareness

Preservation awareness

From: Peter Nelson <NELSON>
Date: Tuesday, September 12, 1995
I've been charged with heading up a campaign to make our library
users more aware of the preservation of our book and journal
collections--proper handling, photocopying, general use.  This is
going to be implemented as we install new photocopiers in the public
areas on all floors.  I'm looking for good, creative ideas I can
borrow or adapt from successful campaigns at other libraries,
including signage, exhibits, and events. (We are a medical library
with heaviest use occurring in our bound and unbound journals; the
book collection is predominantly contemporary, but that doesn't mean
I can't find plenty of examples of battered volumes.) Please send me
your ideas, or if you know of any articles in the library literature
on the subject, please let me know of that too. Thanks,

Peter Nelson, M.L.S.
University Archivist/Special Collections Librarian
Thomas Jefferson University
Scott Memorial Library
1020 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107-5587
215-955-7769
Fax: 215-955-7642

               Distributed: Thursday, September 14, 1995