Subject: Whale bone

Whale bone

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Sunday, September 10, 1995
Stephen Koob <koobs [at] simsc__si__edu> writes
>Mark Vine <100436.3447 [at] compuserve__com> writes
>
>>Might HMG Cellulose Acetate adhesive be used in this context, it has
>
>I do not believe HMG makes a cellulose "acetate" adhesive. The "old"
>HMG (in the blue tube) is a cellulose *nitrate*; the "new" HMG (in
>the purple tube) is Acryloid (Paraloid) B-72.

My thanks to Stephen Koob for spotting an avoidable and careless
error on my part regarding reference to HMG Cellulose Nitrate
adhesive. My original query centred on whether HMG cellulose nitrate
might be an acceptable adhesive for whale bone, is it or would an
Acryloid (Paraloid) based adhesive be better or is neither very
suitable?

Mark Vine
Conservation Resources
England

               Distributed: Thursday, September 14, 1995