Subject: Dust jackets

Dust jackets

From: Clara Keyes <c.keyes>
Date: Monday, September 11, 1995
Dina Schoonmaker <dina_schoonmaker [at] qmgate__cc__oberlin__edu> writes

>Has anyone else made a collection of dust jackets removed from
>books? If so, could we receive some pointers on how to proceed.

In our library, we have started retaining dust jackets, covering
them with protectors, for two reasons: the first is that we suspect
the dust jacket will protect book spines, which are so vulnerable to
UV damage and will protect from abrasion and dust which attracts
mold spores; the second is that we believe the dust jacket to be the
major marketing tool for most books, and would like our users to be
attracted to the books. My feeling is that the time it takes to
cover a dust jacket will pay off in fewer repairs in the future.
Btw, we apply the spine label to the dust jacket cover, which does
not require cutting a hole for the label.

Clara Keyes
Morehead State University
Morehead, Kentucky

               Distributed: Thursday, September 14, 1995