Subject: Moist leather

Moist leather

From: Jerry Shiner <70252.763>
Date: Sunday, September 10, 1995
Charles Rhyne <charles.rhyne [at] directory__reed__edu> writes

>This message is being forwarded from a message posted on the
>Archaeology List.by Dr. Kenneth Ames <b5ka [at] odin__cc__pdx__edu>
>
>    This past summer, we recovered pieces of leather from moist
>    (not dry, not water logged, but seasonally moist) deposits....
>    Does any one have suggestions about how to stabilize it....

I am posting this reply to Kenneth Ames query in the DistList as I
myself am anxious for comments. Although I do not know of the
correct method for stabilizing the leather artifacts for long term
storage in a normal environment, I believe it might be useful to
keep them in an oxygen-free atmosphere in the interim.

A barrier film bag, and a "charge" of Ageless oxygen scavenger would
be a quick and easy way of achieving this. The sealed materials
might also be kept in a cool place while waiting for a more
permanent conservation treatment.  Properly sealed, they will remain
oxygen free for a very long time.  This treatment should prevent
rotting and insect damage. For more information on Ageless, or
various barrier films and sealing devices, which are offered by
Keepsafe Systems, please contact me.

As this technique is relatively new, I look forward to comments.

I might also report that it seems there is a real lack of
information about whether cold storage actually extends the useful
life of a fur garment.  I would still be grateful for any comments
or speculation which a conservator might have to offer about cold
fur storage.

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems, Inc.

               Distributed: Thursday, September 14, 1995