Subject: Profiles of conservation units

Profiles of conservation units

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Saturday, September 9, 1995
Have any of you out there produced your own Conservation Unit
profile? A conservator colleague is embarking on such a task and has
asked if I can obtain any leads of people who she might contact for
advice.

Many British local government conservation units have found that the
customer charter extends to the services they provide. Conservators
are now being asked to produce in depth profiles about themselves
and the units they operate in which include details (including
dates) of their

    *   basic education

    *   further education

    *   qualifications

    *   any courses they have taken with details of what they have
        got out from each course

    *   their philosophy on conservation

    *   future aims

    *   the techniques and practises followed

    *   materials used

    *   complete CV information, including details of every task
        undertaken in the unit and what the same involves etc etc.

A worthy task I am sure but one has to ponder sometimes about the
attitude to conservation from those outside our profession that seem
more interested in reports than hands-on conservation of the
decaying material in our care.

Mark Vine
Conservation Resources, England

                Distributed: Saturday, September 9, 1995