Subject: Preserving unbound papers

Preserving unbound papers

From: Stephanie Watkins <swatkins>
Date: Friday, September 8, 1995
Mr. Gregor Trinkaus-Randall's recent response (in Conservation
DistList Instance: 9:22) to Ms. Jenni Boone's questions of 16
August, reminded me that other Missourians may be interested to know
that the Missouri office of Secretary of State, Rebecca Cook, offers
free "Conservation Notes" to any Missourian institution or citizen.
"Conservation Notes" are aimed at paper, book, and photographic
materials and currently contain information on environment, storage
and housing, disaster planning and preparedness, safe handling
practices, definitions of conservation vernacular, advise for small
private or personal "collections," among other things. "Conservation
Notes" may be obtained by contacting

    Stephanie Watkins
    Senior Conservator
    Missouri State Archives and Local Records Preservation Program
    P. O. Box 778
    Jefferson City, MO 65102
    314-526-3866
    Fax: 314-526-3867
    swatkins [at] mail__more__net

I am also available for free consultation and advise.

I do agree with Mr. Trinkaus-Randall's advise to leave conservation
treatment, especially that intended for special or rare collections
or materials, to the professionals.  Photographs and paper are
especially unforgiving materials of human errors and mistakes, no
matter how well-intentioned.

Stephanie Watkins

                Distributed: Saturday, September 9, 1995