Subject: Silk painting supports before 1700

Silk painting supports before 1700

From: Ramona Duncan-Huse <duncanhuse>
Date: Friday, September 8, 1995
Robert G. Lodge <mckaylodge [at] aol__com> writes

>If you have any knowledge of confirmed or suspected instances of
>silk used as a paintings support (including religious banners)
>before 1700 I would appreciate your response.

The Textile Conservation Centre, Hampton Court Palace, Apartment 22,
East Molesey, England has dealt with silk painting supports. One I
saw on a visit there in 1985 was an early silk fabric stretched
across an oval wood support. I am uncertain of the exact date.  The
conservator in charge of this treatment was Sherry Doyal.  The
Centre does share treatment reports with other conservators.

Ramona Duncan-Huse Date: 8 Sep 95

                Distributed: Saturday, September 9, 1995