Subject: A death

A death

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Saturday, September 9, 1995
Archive conservators in England mourn the loss of a true gentleman,
Fred J.Marsh, Head of Conservation at the India Office Library &
Records, Blackfriars, London who died suddenly earlier this week.

My recollections span close on thirty years and start with a private
visit I made with my parents to the Conservation section to see and
hear from Fred just what Conservation entailed prior to taking up a
course at Camberwell College.

Over the years Fred was to many students, conservators and
custodians around the world a source of information, someone one
could always contact for advice and guidance.

Many conservation departments around the world owe their existence
to the likes of Fred Marsh, a pioneer if there ever was one in
Conservation, certainly a gentleman in every sense of the word.

Mark G. Vine
Conservation Resources, England

                Distributed: Saturday, September 9, 1995