Subject: Polyethylene foam

Polyethylene foam

From: Marilyn Fox <mfox>
Date: Wednesday, September 6, 1995
The following is posted on behalf of Amy Davidson

    I am a preparator designing supports for study and storage of
    vertebrate fossils.  I would like to use polyethylene foam of
    thicknesses ranging from 1/32" sheet to 2" plank and thicker.
    Dow Plastics brand Ethafoam seems to be commonly used in
    collections storage, but it comes no thinner than 1/8". Is all
    polyethylene foam safe for storing fossils on?

    Amy Davidson
    Principal Preparator
    Department of Vertebrate Paleontology
    American Museum of Natural History

Marilyn Fox

                Distributed: Thursday, September 7, 1995