Subject: Whale bone

Whale bone

From: Tom Chase <chaset>
Date: Monday, September 4, 1995
Carol E. Brown <cbrown.hs.scb [at] gnet__gov__uk> writes

>Does anyone have experience of conserving whalebone that is
>displayed outdoors?

The US National Park Service has a number of these on Cape Cod, used
for historic gates outdoors.  I believe that they have done some
conservation work on one in Eastham.  Suggest you try writing the
Superintendent, Cape Cod National Seashore, Provincetown, MA., USA
and let them forward it.

Incidentally, these are bone and ivory (whale teeth); I don't think
baleen holds up well outside.

                Distributed: Thursday, September 7, 1995