Subject: Silk painting supports before 1700

Silk painting supports before 1700

From: Mark Clarke <markey>
Date: Thursday, August 31, 1995
Many Tibetan Tankas (religious banners) are on silk and are *ever*
so old. While most are on cloth ,  catalogues are irritatingly
unspecific as to the cloth used, but nevertheless...

I believe there is a book cover in the Fitzwilliam (Cambridge UK)
which is mainly embroidered, but has a silk painted panel from
C17th. There are many C18th Japanese fans painted on silk (I have
details if required), but I don't know about earlier ones. Hope this
is useful.

Mark Clarke
+44 171 277 1633

                Distributed: Saturday, September 2, 1995