Subject: Workshop on case binding

Workshop on case binding

From: Walter Mcdonald <nbss>
Date: Thursday, July 27, 1995
North Bennet Street School, Boston, is offering an additional
section of our 5-day bookbinding workshop:

Fundamentals of Cloth Case Bookbinding
August 14-18
Tuition: $400
Instructor: Michele Waters

Call North Bennet Street School (617) 227-0155 for further
information. Course description follows.

An introduction to hand binding techniques.  Students will complete
at least two bindings, one square and one with rounded or backed
spine. Students can choose to make quarter covers using decorated
paste papers produced in class.

We will discuss the choice of rounded or flat back construction,
tools, materials, and adhesives in simple hand bindings.  Through
demonstrations and exercises, students will learn the steps of cloth
case book construction: folding, sewing, making and attaching
endpapers, trimming, and covering in cloth.  Additional topics will
include decorative techniques including headbands, paste papers, and
sprinkled edges.

Michele Waters graduated from North Bennet Street School after
earning a library degree from Simmons College.  She worked in the
conservation lab at Harvard University Libraries and is currently
the bindery manager at the Rockefeller Library, Brown University.

For further information, contact:

    Pamela White
    Workshop Coordinator
    North Bennet Street School
    39 North Bennet Street
    Boston, MA 02113
    617-227-0155
    Fax: 617-227-9292

Sorry we're not yet Internet-literate, but we're working on it.

Walter H. Mcdonald

                   Distributed: Friday, July 28, 1995