Subject: Fritz Wiese

Fritz Wiese

From: Joel Spector <farrowst>
Date: Thursday, July 20, 1995
I would be grateful for any information regarding the noted German
craft bookbinder, Fritz Wiese, author of several books on
bookbinding (Der Bucheinband, etc). At least two of these works are
amazingly comprehensive and well-organized manuals with excellent
illustrations and detailed descriptions of historical and
contemporary binding styles and techniques. While I am considering
whether to attempt translating the larger of these books, I am also
seeking advice, information, support, testimonial (especially the
later) as to the value of one or all of these books to bookbinders
and conservators in the English-speaking world. Thanks in advance,

Joel Spector
University of Iowa Center for the Book
Conservation Dept.
Main Library