Subject: Splicing tape

Splicing tape

From: John Spence <spence.john>
Date: Monday, July 17, 1995
Mark Clarke <markey [at] gn__apc__org> writes
>Subject: Splicing tape

>On the subject of magnetic tape, what do others do about splicing
>tape, the adhesive of which has degraded?

At the ABC's Radio Archives we try and avoid archiving spliced tape
but it is not always possible. Good quality splicing tape--made in
the last 15 years or so--has proven to be fairly reliable. If you
have older or poor quality splicing tape that is disintegrating it
should be removed, the backcoat of the tape cleaned with something
like isopropyl alcohol and spliced using a quality splicing tape
(such as BASF PW384). The Canadian National Archive in Ottawa had a
major project running several years ago where they were
systematically spooling through tape (by hand) and replacing old
splices. You could probably get more information from them.

John Spence
Head, Radio Archives
Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Sydney NSW