Subject: CO2 as fumigant

CO2 as fumigant

From: Maggie Ballantyne <can-pma>
Date: Thursday, July 13, 1995
The Provincial Museum of Alberta has been considering, for some time
now, the use of CO2 as a fumigant.  Conservation staff have failed
to turn up enough "hard" evidence (i.e. studies published in
reputable journals) to persuade management that this is the route to
take.  I have been asked to canvass CO2 users "out there".  What
were you using before CO2?  Does CO2 work as well?  On what pests is
it effective/not effective?  Is it the application method which
works (e.g. removal of oxygen) rather than the application of the
CO2 or other gas?  Do you use it as a matter of course on all
material coming into the collections or only when an infestation is
detected?  These are the questions which come to mind immediately,
but you may have other comments/observations. I look forward to your

Maggie Ballantyne
Collections Manager
Provincial Museum of Alberta
12845 - 102 Avenue