Subject: History of conservation

History of conservation

From: Jean D. Portell <jeandp>
Date: Wednesday, July 12, 1995
For a book on the history of art conservation in the USA, I am
looking for old documents (reports, receipts, references in diaries
and letters) and published information regarding the physical care
of paintings, sculptures, and decorative art objects in this country
during any era. Signs of early treatments that are still visible on
the artifacts themselves, and recorded names of people who did
restoration will be of interest. I also seek evidence of how
developments in this country have affected conservation practices in
other countries. And, to enliven the book, I hope to find good
illustrations (prints, photos, cartoons) and vivid quotes.
Information coming from regions far from New York City will be
especially helpful. I know about the FAIC Oral History Archive being
formed by Joyce Hill Stoner; who else has relevant archives or
personal recollections?  Please send any leads to me by regular mail
(preferably), facsimile, or e-mail.

(This project was announced on page 25 of the May 1994  AIC News and
in a poster at the June 1995 AIC Annual Meeting.)

Jean D. Portell
13 Garden Place
Brooklyn, NY 11201-4580
Fax: 718-643-8773