Subject: Splicing tape

Splicing tape

From: Mark Clarke <markey>
Date: Saturday, July 8, 1995
On the subject of magnetic tape, what do others do about splicing
tape, the adhesive of which has degraded? It falls off making
playing impossible and must be replaced with something, but what? Is
there an "archival" long-life tape? Splicing tape is
pressure-adhesive 1/1000 inch Mylar, i.e. glorified Scotch tape.
Presumably any replacement pressure tape will degrade.

If the object to be repaired was paper, I would not be looking for
an adhesive tape, so by analogy should I use a thin mylar sheet and
hand apply some adhesive, e.g.Paraloid B72 ? Any suggestions
gratefully received as I have got miles of recording tape, some of
which seems to be a patchwork of 45 second lengths!

Mark Clarke
+44 171 277 1633

                  Distributed: Tuesday, July 11, 1995