Subject: Epoxy adhesives

Epoxy adhesives

From: Alison Wain <awain>
Date: Thursday, July 6, 1995
Over the years a number of different epoxy adhesives have been used
in conservation, but their formulations have changed, they have gone
off the market or there are no distributors in Australia.

Hxtal-Nyl-1 is useful for joining broken glass because of its
similar refractive index and consequent ability to make breaks less
obvious, but it is a nuisance not to have an Australian supplier.
Does anyone know of an alternative to Hyxtal that is similarly
stable and non-yellowing and has an Australian supplier?  We also
need epoxies for joins on wood and metal where a strong bond is
important.  Again, we would like the product to be formulated to be
stable in the long term, preferably non-yellowing and preferably
with an Australian supplier. Has anyone got any suggestions?

Alison Wain
Museum of Victoria
27 Francis St.
Melbourne 3000