Subject: Endowments for preservation

Endowments for preservation

From: Robert J. Milevski <milevski>
Date: Thursday, July 6, 1995
I am interested in learning which academic, research, and public
(and any other) libraries have endowed funds which are dedicated to
preservation/conservation of collections.  In particular, I would
like to know (generally, unless you would like to provide detail)
what the funds are used for, the amount of the endowment(s), and how
long the funds have been generating income and been available to
your program.  I would also like to know which institutions have
preservation/conservation labs, facilities, programs, or staff
positions which are named after a donor(s) of such funds, such as
the positions at NYPL and Harvard, or the lab at NYU.  Also, do any
institutions have active Friends groups which contribute to
preservation efforts, either through endowments or gifts which are
used to buy equipment, supplies, etc.

If such a list of info currently exists, then someone please point
me to the light, or at least to the tunnel entrance.  Princeton has
had endowed funds for preservation for a decade or more and I am
beginning a campaign to increase the current endowment, nearly $2M,
or to create new ones for specific purposes, such as endowing a rare
book conservator position or naming our renovated facility after a
generous benefactor.  The funds generated from our endowment are
used to pay staff salaries and benefits, to buy equipment, supplies
and materials, to pay for telephone and computer networking costs,
and special projects, like our renovation.

Any help privately or via the DistList will be welcome.  If enough
info comes my way, then I will compile it and send it to Walter for
posting on CoOL.  By the way, I want this info to use in my campaign
by way of comparison, although I think many of you would also be
interested in the same info, just for the sake of knowing.  Thanks
in advance?

Robert J. Milevski
Preservation Librarian
Princeton University Libraries