Subject: Preservation outreach

Preservation outreach

From: Diane Kaufman <dkaufman>
Date: Wednesday, June 21, 1995
I am responsible for the preservation of materials at Virginia Tech.
During our Preservation Week last year, I was in the main lobby
showing our students the many problems we face. Some of the students
were curious as to whether this was a problem unique to our school.
Of course, it is not; however, this prompted me to write 25 other
academic libraries in order to begin a dialogue with them. I wanted
to learn how they are meeting this ongoing problem and to share some
of our ideas. Although only about a third of the libraries
responded, I have acquired some wonderful samples and examples. I
want to do a display this fall in which I will show our students how
others are trying to reach their students. We are not trying to take
anyone's ideas, only to help our library users to learn that we are
not alone in this very challenging problem. I would appreciate any
ideas that others may have, whether it is bags for a rainy day,
tents for the tables, how to photocopy, etc.. Thank you for any help
you may offer.

Diane Kaufman
Preservation Department
Virginia Tech