Subject: Survey

Survey

From: Peter Zajicek <zajicek_peter/slsa>
Date: Wednesday, June 14, 1995
I am writing for help for information on conducting a comprehensive
ongoing conservation survey of our State Library.

We have a very diverse collection ranging from paintings to
documents to cd's and they are all of the state of South Australia
dating back to settlement in 1836.

As well as completing general random profile report of the
collection we intend to find problems with certain parts of the
collection by selecting individual items of conserved and
un-conserved work and extensively document them and the work we have
completed on them. Every month a conserved job will be added to the
survey then every year we will go back to the same items and report
changes to there condition. This method will save time by not having
to write reports on each  job completed.  Hopefully this will give
us an accurate indication into the condition of our collection

The problem is that we are unsure of the methods we should employ to
achieving this outcome. We intend on using our computer. We run
windows driven Microsoft Access for our job record keeping.

We also need the latest information or standards on how to test and
measure degradation on Photographs (historic), Magnetic media, CD's,
Video, Vinyl recordings and Photographic film's.

You also may be able to help us with providing us existing survey
structures and lists of standards, books, documents, or your
personal survey structures in your library or institute and
experiences you may of had.  As we are between projects it is rather
urgent that we get an outline of the survey as soon as possible.

Peter Zajicek

                  Distributed: Saturday, June 17, 1995