Subject: Recycled paper

Recycled paper

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Thursday, June 15, 1995
Is there such a thing as archive quality recycled paper? A
Conservator colleague was telling me today of a custodian's plans to
reproduce a sizeable modern day archive by photocopying on recycled
paper. The custodian has been told by a number of paper merchants
that recycled papers can now be produced to full archival
specification (one has to wonder what their definition of full
archival spec is). The Conservator is fearful that a sizeable and
important private collection may be lost for the future as a result.

My query is this, can a 100% Green / recycled paper be archival. If
not what suggestions might be forthcoming to resolve my conservator
colleague's dilemma and what if anything has been written about the
drawbacks of using recycled papers for archival purposes.

Mark Vine
Conservation Resources, England

                  Distributed: Saturday, June 17, 1995