Subject: Barcoding

Barcoding

From: Alicia Cosgrove <ali00akc>
Date: Wednesday, June 7, 1995
Our library is currently evaluating the inclusion of self-checkout
machines for our patrons. I'd be interested in hearing how other
libraries (public and academic) have handled this process. The
machines we're considering are made by 3M Corporation, but we would
like to know if anyone else is using a different machine. With the
3M machines, we have the following concern: possible repositioning
of barcodes to back cover of book.

    *   We aren't thrilled with the notion of a monumental
        re-barcoding project

    *   We wonder about the durability of barcode adhesive on cloth
        covers

    *   We wonder about the effect of barcode adhesive on covers in
        general

My concern (I work in processing, conservation and repair) is
largely tied in with the adhesive problems. I'll happily accept any
advice/war stories you have to offer. Thanks in advance,

Alicia Cosgrove
Materials Processor
J.Murrey Atkins Library
UNC-Charlotte