Subject: Preservation Instructors' Discussion Group

Preservation Instructors' Discussion Group

From: Sharlane Grant <iacstg>
Date: Thursday, June 8, 1995
PARS (Preservation and Reformatting Section, ALA) Preservation
Course & Workshop Discussion Group Meeting
Sunday, 6/25, 9:30-11
HICC-Ontario
Co-Chairs: Nancy Carlson Schrock, Sharlane Grant

Part 1: Making Basic Book Repair Workshops More Effective.

    We will discuss ways to improve basic book repair workshops:
    planning, audience, presentation, evaluation and follow-up.
    Discussion will focus on what works, what doesn't and new ideas.
    We will also discuss possible benefits of standardizing workshop
    elements and sharing hand-outs.

Part 2: Beyond Basic Repair: The Expanding Role of Book Repair in
Collection-Wide Preservation.

    Discussion will focus on issues and procedures raised in the
    program, "The Expanding Role of Book Repair in Collection-wide
    Preservation," (PARS program: 6/24, 2-4, MCC E-352) and the PARS
    Physical Quality of Library Materials Discussion Group on "Board
    Reattachment" (6/24, 11:30-12:30, MCC E350). How can we
    incorporate these principles into training and education? Can
    these conservation techniques be taught in workshops? What
    alternatives are there?

Sharlane Grant

                   Distributed: Monday, June 12, 1995