Subject: Chlorine bleach as artist's material

Chlorine bleach as artist's material

From: Andrea Rolich <arolich>
Date: Thursday, June 1, 1995
I am submitting the following for a colleague,

    I am working with an artist who draws with household bleach on
    black (high quality rag) paper.  Once the bleaching is done, he
    washes the paper in water, and then completes the art work with
    traditional drawing media.  He would like some practical advice
    on the effects (short- and long-term) of the bleach on the
    paper.  Can/should he wash the paper more thoroughly?  (I can
    smell the bleach when I handle the drawings.)

    Please keep in mind that he loves this process and, though
    curious about conservation concerns, is unlikely to abandon
    working with bleach, unless the predictions are very dire.  I
    know that artistic and archival practices can be at odds, but
    hope your responses may encourage compatibility.  Thank you for
    your attention.

    Tracy Honn, Printer/Curator
    Silver Buckle Press
    honn [at] macc__wisc__edu