Subject: Brief book review

Brief book review

From: Dale Peters <petersd>
Date: Thursday, June 1, 1995
    Chantry, J M H.  A bibliographical guide to some useful articles
    for the paper conservator, to be found in periodical journals
    and conference preprints held in the library of the Institute of
    Paper Conservation.

    Available from Judith Chantry, Ivy Cottage Well Hill, Finstock,
    Chipping Norton, Oxon OX7 3BU, United Kingdom at a price of 35
    pounds Sterling.

I was impressed at the prospect of a bibliographical guide, I am
overwhelmed with admiration by the success of this project!

This must be the most useful bibliographic tool available to paper
conservators. While circumscribed by the extensive holdings of the
IPC Library, this neat volume provides the pleasure of immersing
oneself in the complexities of the field, clearly defined by a
superlative subject index. I found many exciting entries reflecting
my own literature collection that I had either forgotten, or simply
overlooked.

I found myself engrossed in the study of every single entry, marking
enough items of interest to keep me busy for weeks, and the
information listed is available to members of the Institute. The
effort reflected in this work is of immeasurable value, this is a
lasting contribution to the practice and research of paper
conservation.

Dale Peters
Paper Conservator
University of Natal