Subject: New book about chemicals

New book about chemicals

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Monday, May 22, 1995
Praised as one of the best new books on Chemistry, by the New
Scientist magazine, The Consumers Good Chemical Guide by John Emsley
is, as the book describes, a jargon free guide to the chemicals of
everyday life. It is published by W.H.Freeman. ISBN 0-7167-4504-4.
1994 UK price of 18-99 or $22-95. This really is a very interesting
book which some of you may like to acquire. The book sets out to
explain in accessible, non technical terms answers to a great many
questions covering all manner of things from perfume to cellulose
acetate, pvc, nitrates and pollutants.

Includes a good appendix on chemicals including their formula,
molecular structure, alternate names and uses. I found this book an
interesting and enlightening read, I am not sure its that essential
for the library bookshelf but it certainly offers a new and easy to
understand way of looking at things.

Mark G. Vine
Conservation Resources, England

                  Distributed: Wednesday, May 24, 1995