Subject: Polaroid photo duplicator

Polaroid photo duplicator

From: Karen Motylewski <kmoty>
Date: Monday, May 22, 1995
I just came back from the Society of Southwest Archives meeting
where I saw a potentially indispensable tool that I somehow missed
in the past. Since I haven't seen reference to it here, I thought
others might be interested.  I don't have any technical details to
offer, and it isn't being marketed as a preservation solution, but
it does offer reduced risk to original photos and a very fast
turn-around for researchers who want copies of photos.

Called Polaroid one-step, this gizmo is available for $3600 (no
zeros missing) and produces a black and white or reasonably good
color image on a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of RC paper in less than 2 minutes
(time for b&W or color varies).  Film comes with a developer
cartridge, and each pack will make 36 images (I think) (per-image
price about $4.10, b&W or color).  You can switch from B&W to color
at any time -- it's not necessary to complete a pack.  No need to
coat the print -- it's all automatic.  The depth of field is
excellent, so it's possible to photodocument small three-dimensional
objects.  The copier gives a magnification and reduction capability.
Color fidelity is not great, but seems adequate for many uses,
including some exhibits.  This struck me as a terrific tool for any
photo collection with a medium to high demand for copies--they can
be made on demand, costs recovered from the client, with no need to
send the original (or use) image to a lab.  The Polaroid rep said
the failure rate was about 1 in 30,000 prints!.  The copier
weighs about 150 lbs (again, I think), and is readily transportable.
The rep said they're very durable.  Photos are estimated to last
about 25 years. Negatives are one-use only.

The same unit will make color transparencies (8 1/2 x 11) for about
$12.

Special purchase arrangements are available, including for federal,
state, and municipal agencies -- this one includes a free copier for
the purchase of 20 cases of film (@$146.88).  I was really
impressed.

For more info, call John D. Warren, Polaroid Corp., 4525 Leonard
Pkwy, Richmond, VA 23221, 804-254-1011.

Karen Motylewski
Preservation and Conservation Studies
University of Texas at Austin