Subject: Water damage to postage stamps

Water damage to postage stamps

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Wednesday, May 17, 1995
Charles Lamb <Charles.R.Lamb.1 [at] nd__edu> writes

>Part of his collection was water damaged and the
>coloring from the paper in his album has stained the stamps.
>... he would like to
>know if there is some way to remove the coloring from the stamps so
>that the print on the stamps is legible.

There is a pretty good book on the subject called The Care and
Preservation of Philatelic Materials it is by T.J. Collings and R.F.
Schoolley-West. T.J. Collings is a lecturer in conservation and
conservation science whilst Schoolley-West is Assistant Director for
Philatelic Collections at the British Library. The ISBN number is
0-7123-0136-4 and as far as I recall our American office have
copies.

Alternately might I suggest contacting Ms Koscia at the Conservation
Unit at the National Postal Museum,King Edward Street, London EC1A
1LP who would I would have thought be able to offer assistance

Mark Vine
Conservation Resources
England

                   Distributed: Sunday, May 21, 1995