Subject: Bird control and outdoor sculpture

Bird control and outdoor sculpture

From: Dale Paul Kronkright <DPKOBJSCON>
Date: Sunday, May 7, 1995
John,

Have Carol contact

    Debra Lehane
    San Francisco Civic Art Commission
    25 Van Ness, Suite 240
    San Francisco, CA 94102
    Dlehane [at] AOL__COM

I have seen a permanently tacky coating painted on eves of buildings
and on branches of trees that has reduced the populations
considerably.  The effect at Fort Mason appears to have been good.
But I also think I remember Debra saying that the effectiveness in
other areas has not been so good.  The sticky material works because
the birds refuse to land on a tacky surface.

As with everything you can imagine, this technique requires
maintenance. The gummy stuff seems to get filled-up with dirt,
leaves, etc. and stops being gooey.  So it has to be peeled up
and/or re-applied.  It maybe easy to apply it to a backing that you
then safely apply to the building or tree branch or even un-seen
areas of the sculpture.  Olson Products, maker of insect sticky
strips in Medina Ohio, makes a similar sticky goo for insect/rodent
trapping that mile work in this regard.  Anyway, I've only seen the
stuff in its setting.  I don't know what companies supply this kind
of material.  Landscape supply and building management supply
companies and trade magazines would be a good bet.  Tell her good
luck.

Dale Paul Kronkright

                  Distributed: Wednesday, May 10, 1995