Subject: Labeling encapsulated materials

Labeling encapsulated materials

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Tuesday, May 9, 1995
The most commonly used product I am aware of for labelling
mylar encapsulated material be it map or ephemeral material
is the polyester marker pen. There are
many makes available including the All-Stabilo & Pygma ranges
provide for medium to fine labelling directly onto the mylar
film. Most of the archival supply companies, including our own
office in Springfield, Virginia offer a brand of suitable
specification. Removal is achieved with a spirit based solvent.
Here we commonly use industrial methylated spirits or acetone,
but even localised use of typewriter correction fluids will be
effective (provided adequate ventilation prevails).

The problem with labels, whether archival quality or
not is that the paper substrate ultimately seperates from
the adhesive leaving a nasty tacky layer to stick
to other items in the collection.

Mark Vine
Conservation Resources, England

                  Distributed: Wednesday, May 10, 1995