Subject: Conservation of fans

Conservation of fans

From: Beth Patkus <nedcc>
Date: Friday, May 5, 1995
On a recent trip to St. Petersburg, Russia, I met a young woman,
Elena Yankovskaya, who specializes in the conservation of fans.  Her
museum, the name of which is given below, has a wonderful collection
of fans including types from the far reaches of the former Soviet
Union not seen in U.S. collections.  Ms Yankovskaya has been
treating fans for 10 years, and her work looks very accomplished.
She is anxious to make contact with western conservators who have
worked on fans.  Ms Yankovskaya does not speak English but has
co-workers who could translate for her.  We have found it best to
communicate with our Russian colleagues by fax as mail is very
undependable and most do not yet have email.  Because some
institutions may turn off their fax machines at night, it's best to
send messages during Russian business hours.  St. Petersburg is
eight hours ahead of the eastern U.S.

Ms Yankovskaya's address (I'm not certain the street and zipcode
numbers are correct):

    Elena Yankovskaya
    Russian Ethnographical Museum
    Injenernaya 411