Subject: MARC fields 755 and 659

MARC fields 755 and 659

From: Mary Reinsch Sackett <mreinsch>
Date: Wednesday, May 3, 1995
Remember the MARC field 755 which used to be used for physical
characteristics? Did anyone ever successfully employ it for pure
physical attributes (red Morocco, silver gelatin, etc.)? A new
indexible field, 659, is now being proposed with index term:
Attributes and Parts. I was thinking it to be useful for such
retrieval purposes as brittle books. What other applications might
be served here that the former 755 field effectively covered? We are
examining ways the 659 field can be applied to conservation
documentation. I welcome any input.

Mary Reinsch Sackett,
Conservation
Getty Center for History of Art and the Humanities

                  Distributed: Wednesday, May 3, 1995