Subject: Hinge repair for circulating books

Hinge repair for circulating books

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Monday, April 24, 1995
Gwen Gregory <ggregory [at] lib__nmsu__edu> writes

>I am evaluating our library's methods of repairing broken hinges in
>our circulating collection materials.
>...I would like to take less time on these repairs and am
>interested in finding some sort of tape to use for them, which would
>be appropriate for circulating collections in a research library

Traditionally bookbinders what many know as a music or manuscript
binding tape to repair sections of folios.

Nowadays the adhesive is a water soluble starch base on what we
loosely refer to as a wood-free paper base. Wood-free I must point
out does not mean that it is rag content based. In this context
"wood-free" means that the paper contains no mechanical wood pulp.
We make this product primarily for picture framers for hinging
artwork but it is still use as an opaque repair tape.

A disadvantage to note is that whilst quick to apply (and remove
too--being water reversible) such a tape will lead to bulking at the
spine and may even form a weakening along the edge of the tape. If
you are looking for speed I would recommend using a fine fibred heat
activated acrylic adhesive tissue such as Filmoplast R or Archibond
Tissue. Both of can be applied using a heated tacking iron for more
localised repairs. The strong fibres will provide better adhesion
and the thin tissue will better form into the paper reducing bulk
and lessening binding problems in the long term. Of the two
Filmoplast R is less likely to block in extreme storage conditions.
I will be happy to forward samples and more detailed technical
information.

Mark Vine
Conservation Resources (UK) Ltd
Units 1, 2 & 4 Pony Road