Subject: Hinge repair for circulating books

Hinge repair for circulating books

From: Gwen Gregory <ggregory>
Date: Wednesday, April 19, 1995
I am evaluating our library's methods of repairing broken hinges in
our circulating collection materials.  When the endsheet is not
intact but the super is, we use 80 lb. buffered paper and PVA and/or
methylcellulose adhesives to add a new strip of paper over the hinge
area.  I would like to take less time on these repairs and am
interested in finding some sort of tape to use for them, which would
be appropriate for circulating collections in a research library?  I
would like something that will hold books together and not damage
them further, but is relatively easy and quick.  Any suggestions or
comments appreciated.

Gwen Gregory
Head, Post-Cataloging Unit
Technical Services Department