Subject: Turpentine soaked book

Turpentine soaked book

From: Claudia Stall <cstall>
Date: Friday, April 21, 1995
Recently I received an art book that was returned with a strong smell of
what I believe to be turpentine.  I had to place it in two heavy duty
plastic zip bags so it would not run us out of our offices.

We would try to replace it except that it is out of print. Is there
any treatment to salvage this fine art book?  Should I just let it
set unbagged for a while?  I would have to put it somewhere away
from workers as it is *really* strong.  The pages do not seem to be
stuck together but have liquid marks along edges and the spine and
cover are heavily damaged.  It has a dust jacket and plastic cover
on it.  There is also some paint splotches on edges of the book
cover boards. Any help is appreciated

Claudia Stall, Head
Collection Preservation/Mendery
San Diego State University Library