Subject: Copper sulfate

Copper sulfate

From: Sue Lynn McGuire <mcguire>
Date: Thursday, April 6, 1995
    **** Moderator's comments:
    This query comes from a person who is not on the DistList and
    will not see any responses that are posted here.  Please respond
    directly to sender and if of general interest post it here as well

We have located a jug of "Mildew Treatment" prepared by a previous
employee which contains 2.5% CuSo4.  The hand typed instructions say to
apply with a cloth which has been dipped in the solution and dried prior
to use to wipe mildew from a book.  We quickly checked Mary Lynn
Ritzenthaler's _Preserving Archives and Manuscripts_ but saw no info
about Copper Sulfate. We have numerous periodicals (bound in buckram)
and leather-bound books which have been stored in a damp, dirty basement
for *too* many years.

Has anyone used CuSo4?  If so, please advise.  If not, recommendations
are welcome. We are a small staff without a preservation department or
much time to allot to this project.  We need "quick and dirty" solutions
for a "damp and dirty problem."

Sue Lynn McGuire
CNC Box 71949
Carson-Newman College