Subject: Software for slide labelling and cataloging

Software for slide labelling and cataloging

From: John Griswold <jgriswold>
Date: Monday, April 3, 1995
We are using Filemaker Pro 2.1 which is a very powerful database
application and easy to figure out once you get used to it. It will
allow you to enter project information into fields set up in any number
of different custom layouts you choose.  For instance, information
entered into a survey check- list will also appear in a layout designed
as a page of slide labels, on a report, and on a client information
card.  The nice thing is, of course, you only enter this once.

We're using Filemaker Pro for Macintosh, but it is also available for
IBM. Best of all, it has good "cross-platform" capabilities so the
survey databases generated on our Powerbooks can be put onto IBM
formatted discs and given to clients using other systems.

It would be worth your time to find a local computer whiz who can
understand your requirements and help design an integrated package.  We
used Bob Nishi, a consultant and friend based near Santa Barbara who now
has insight into the joys of a private conservation practice (more than
he ever wanted to know). I would be glad to pass on any queries to him.

John Griswold
Wharton and Griswold Associates
+1 805 565 3639
Fax: +1 805 565 3649