Subject: Alternatives to Ablebond 342-1

Alternatives to Ablebond 342-1

From: Krysia Spirydowicz <spirydow>
Date: Monday, April 3, 1995
At Queen's University, we have had good results with  Epotek 301, an
epoxy resin supplied by Epoxy Technology Inc.  Testing by Jane Down
(Studies in Conservation 31 (1986), pp. 159-170) placed it among the
five formulations most durable under high as well as low light
conditions.  I find it easier to use than Hyxtal because it cures fully
within 24 hours.  In addition, it demonstrates good resistance to
yellowing.  Our students use Epotek 301 for the repair of glass and
(occasionally) ceramic objects. It is obtainable from:

    Epoxy Technology Inc.
    14 Fortune Drive,
    Billerica, MA 01821, USA
    508-667-3805
    Fax: 508-663-9782

An 8 oz trial evaluation kit is available on request.

                   Distributed: Sunday, April 9, 1995