Subject: Calcium carbonate and adhesive residues

Calcium carbonate and adhesive residues

From: Sally Power <notscp>
Date: Wednesday, March 22, 1995
I'm soliciting opinions or literature citations on the application of
talc or calcium carbonate (in powder form) to sticky residues left from
adhesives on paper.  At my institution, talcum powder has been used in
the past to cover such residues.  I was thinking that calcium carbonate
would be a better choice as it would be less abrasive and would also
increase alkalinity of paper that's being attacked by leftover
adhesives, particularly from pressure sensitive tape.  Has anyone been
using Calcium Carbonate in this way--or does anyone know of citations to
such use in "the literature"?  Is there any reason why this might be a
bad idea?

Sally Power
Manuscripts Processing
Louisiana and Lower Mississippi Valley Collections
Louisiana State University Libraries,
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA  70803

                 Distributed: Thursday, March 23, 1995