Subject: Chelating agents

Chelating agents

From: Amanda Blosser <a.blosser>
Date: Monday, March 20, 1995
I am looking for information about the use of chelating agents for
cleaning ceramics particularly archaeological ceramics.  I have not been
able to find any references to chelators in conservation literature.
EDTA is the most commonly used but what are typical uses? Citric acid,
malonic acid, and crown ethers are rarely used.   I would like to know
if anyone has used these chemicals before.

Amanda Blosser
University of Texas at Austin

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 21, 1995