Subject: Book measuring devices

Book measuring devices

From: Ann V. Frellsen <libavf>
Date: Monday, March 20, 1995

We have the Acme Book Measuring box, and are currently using it to
measure each volume of our U.S. Serial Set which we are boxing (several
hundred books). The device fits on a book cart and allows the student
worker to quickly measure each book. We retro-fitted the device with
rules indicating millimeters for greater accuracy. It works for anything
(phase box, clam-shell box, etc.) because all it gives you are the books'
dimensions; you adjust and use whatever box formula and then plug your
books' dimensions into the formula to produce the box type you are
making.

The only problem with the book measuring device is that it is *very*
easy to measure carelessly, especially if the book is out of shape (as
many, if not most, are). We see many errors, and are considering going
back to "hand-measuring" to finish the project.  I honestly think that
using just a right-triangle and a ruler to measure is the most accurate
and least time-consuming method, though certainly the least
"glamourous". Simple technology stills proves its worth...

Ann Frellsen
Preservation Office
Emory University Libraries
Atlanta, GA