Subject: Hair

Hair

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Wednesday, March 15, 1995
Can anyone suggest the best method of sticking a thick clump of braided
human hair, circa 1800's to the inside of a solid gold locket and what
adhesive might have be used in the 1800's to stick it.

I had thought to recommend Acryloid B72 since this acrylic adhesive
should have no effect on the gold but I am concerned that the solvent
used may effect the hair. I have been asked the above by a jewelry
restorer, my experience lies with paper artifacts.

Mark Vine
Conservation Resources
England

                  Distributed: Sunday, March 19, 1995