Subject: Commercial binding turnaround time

Commercial binding turnaround time

From: Brian L. Dolge <brian_l_dolge>
Date: Tuesday, March 14, 1995
Loise Coates asked about bindery turnaround time. My experience is
limited to one binder (Southeast Library Bindery in Brown Summit NC,
Used to be Ruzika, is now ICI), but I've been at two Universities (Wake
Forest U, mid-size, private, in NC and U of Maryland College Park,
large, public, in MD).  Both had 2 week turnaround, so I cannot comment
on the relative merits of four week turnaround.

The quality product we receive has generally been acceptable and what
problems we have had do not seem to be related to our turnaround.  Both
schools sent 200-400 vols per shipment, Bi-weekly for Wake, weekly for
UMCP.  Wake is about 50 mi. from the binder, UMCP is close to 600.  I
was about equally happy with the service, quality, etc. at both
institutions.  As for cost, it is my understanding that the biggest
variable is the number of volumes sent and the rest, as they say, is
just details. This is not to say that you will not incur a surcharge for
a two week turnaround, just that the binder's main concern is volume :-)
and he will be more likely to make a deal if you provide it.

Brian L. Dolge

                  Distributed: Sunday, March 19, 1995